Association often fails first time when roaming with 802.11r.

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Tue Nov 12 15:10:24 EST 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-12 at 12:05 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
> A more correct roam also takes about 150ms, but at least not because of the
> error in my previous email.  Seems it takes it 100+ms to go if-up after
> the assoc-request is sent.  I'll go dig into that further.

The interface is already up (has to be to authenticate), the event you
get at that point (just after the ~110ms delay) is for LOWER_UP really -
which means carrier_on() in the kernel I believe. At that point you'd
need kernel level tracing or messages to investigate.

Maybe something is waiting for a beacon there?

johannes