P2P Device support: how to deal with p2p_no_group_iface option

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Mon May 27 14:11:12 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 03:56:19PM +0200, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> In this mac80211_hwsim is a special case. We could make P2P_DEVICE
> support in mac80211_hwsim optional using module parameter to allow
> testing both cases.

Yes, that would be helpful. I don't understand why my test setup moves
to using P2P Device by default when mac80211_hwsim is perfectly capable
of operating without that.. I have been thinking of applying the
wpa_supplicant changes in a way that would make them disabled by default
and use a runtime configuration parameter (e.g., driver_param to
driver_nl80211.c) to enable this functionality for now. This would allow
the patches to go in now and make it somewhat easier to test them.
Anyway, if mac80211_hwsim changes its default behavior, this would be of
lesser needed (well, once a new kernel release or compat-drivers gets
released).

In general, I don't think it is a good idea to change existing behavior
with a kernel or wpa_supplicant upgrade. It is obviously fine if this is
needed for the functionality to work in the first place, but that is not
the case with mac80211_hwsim.