Can someone explain this log line please?

Krishna Chaitanya chaitanya.mgit at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 15:42:54 EDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>wrote:

> On 03/25/2013 08:28 AM, McCann, Brian wrote:
> > This may sound stupid, but can someone explain exactly what this means?
> >
> > hostapd: wlan0-1: STA 30:f7:c5:43:7d:7c IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due
> to local deauth request
> >
> > I'm having a problem with clients getting randomly disconnected, so I'm
> looking through my logs line by line and trying to understand what
> everything means.  These lines do not occur on APs that do not have issues,
> so I'm thinking this is linked somehow.  For the inquisitive, I'm using
> hostapd 2.1-devel on OpenWRT.
>
> I think this means the hostapd thinks it was asked to deauth the station
> for some reason.
>
> Perhaps due to inactivity or something like that?
>
> Maybe increase verbosity of the logs and see if there is any
> reason given?

There can be many reasons for this to be logged (ap_handle_timer: The code
in there is a bit confusing, the sta->timeout_next is never changed in the
function and also there's no locking so assuming that no one changes that,
but still we do check STA_REMOVE multiple times).

1) inactivity
2) any ctrl interface disconnect/deauth event (eg. wps_cancel when wps is
established)
3) If AP has gone for a hard reboot this timer checks for sta == null and
issues a prev_auth_not_valid
4) Some security Handshake failure.

After any of the above event we schedule the timer
for AP_MAX_INACTIVITY_AFTER_* (5/30) for deauth and disassoc and then
ap_handle_timer is called which logs the above message.