Is it possible to get the information of a packet in hostapd just like we did in Wireshark?

Chun Chien johnyluyte at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 07:08:31 EST 2013

Dear all:

Hello, I'm a college student learning hostapd.
My question may be stupid but it really confused me.

To be brief, my question is similiar to this thread:
http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2009-November/020584.html

I would like to know that, is it possible to get the information of a
packet(length/size/payload data) in hostapd just like we did in Wireshark?

I used a Laptop running hostapd, with wired Internet connection eth0 and
wireless interface wlan2. And I used a android phone to connect to the
Internet via hostapd running on the laptop.

I supposed that the packets sent from the phone to the Internet should go
through the following path.
Phone WiFi interface -> wlan2 of laptop -> Hostapd running on laptop ->
eth0 of laptop -> The Internet
Is this correct?

If so, could we intercept the packets during the process?
What file should I modify in order to achieve it?
I've been tracing the source code for several days. Starting with eloop.c
,functions/files which registered with the callback function. Then libln
and driver_nl80211.c. But couldn't find the answer.

I'm sorry for my poor English.
Any hint would be appreciated. Thanks you very much.

--
Best Regards,
Chien