hostapd Won't Launch

Ayron Jungren ajungren at 0x3b.com
Sat Jan 26 12:30:04 EST 2013

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 4:45 AM, Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi> wrote:
> Could you please send me the .config file that works, but stops working
> if that line is added? Please also send the hostapd.conf file that can
> be used to reproduce this (with any passwords or private information
> replaced).

Here's the .config:

CC = x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
CONFIG_EAP=y
CONFIG_EAP_MD5=y
CONFIG_EAP_TLS=y
CONFIG_EAP_TTLS=y
CONFIG_EAP_MSCHAPV2=y
CONFIG_EAP_PEAP=y
CONFIG_WPS=y
CONFIG_WPS2=y
CONFIG_WPS_UPNP=y
CONFIG_EAP_GTC=y
CONFIG_EAP_SIM=y
CONFIG_EAP_AKA=y
CONFIG_EAP_PAX=y
CONFIG_EAP_PSK=y
CONFIG_EAP_SAKE=y
CONFIG_EAP_GPSK=y
CONFIG_EAP_GPSK_SHA256=y
CONFIG_DRIVER_HOSTAP=y
CONFIG_DRIVER_WIRED=y
CONFIG_DRIVER_PRISM54=y
CONFIG_DRIVER_NONE=y
CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y
LIBS += -L/usr/lib
CONFIG_PKCS12=y
CONFIG_RADIUS_SERVER=y
CONFIG_IAPP=y
CONFIG_IEEE80211R=y
CONFIG_IEEE80211W=y
CONFIG_IEEE80211N=y
CONFIG_PEERKEY=y
CONFIG_RSN_PREAUTH=y
CONFIG_INTERWORKING=y
CONFIG_IPV6=y
CONFIG_LIBNL32=y

That is obviously *without* the CONFIG_NO_STDOUT_DEBUG=y. Removing the
debug USE flag just adds that one line.

The problem occurs (for me) with any hostapd.conf, including the one
I'm using right now with the working hostapd binary. For reference,
here's the simplest one I tried:

interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
ssid=
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=3
eap_server=0
own_ip_addr=127.0.0.1
wpa=3
ieee8021x=0
wpa_passphrase=
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=CCMP
hw_mode=g
channel=11
wme_enabled=1
ieee80211n=1

That was pulled directly from
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Wireless/Access_point#WPA and works
fine with the binary I'm using, but breaks when NO_STDOUT_DEBUG is
added.

Thanks for your time,
Ayron Jungren