hostapd Won't Launch

Ayron Jungren ajungren at 0x3b.com
Fri Jan 25 14:09:26 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi> wrote:
> Is that CONFIG_NO_STDOUT_DEBUG=y used as the default build option there?
> If so, it is very user unfriendly option and not really something I
> would recommend for a generic distribution. The only reason to add that
> entry is if you need to minimize the binary size for an embedded device
> with limited flash. If you want to debug anything (including
> configuration file errors or any problems setting up the interface), you
> do not want that build option.

It is used if the USE flag "debug" is not set, which it isn't by
default. To prevent CONFIG_NO_STDOUT_DEBUG=y from being set, you'd
either need to set USE="debug" globally (which is strongly recommended
against) or specifically for hostapd. I agree that it's
user-unfriendly, and I'll be filing a bug with Gentoo's Bugzilla later
today to hopefully get them to remove that option. Would it be alright
if I quoted your e-mail in that bug?

> No, that is not needed for normal functionality. The only use for it is
> if you want to direct debug output to a file.

I'm glad it's working now, but then I'm confused as to why it didn't
before. There weren't any errors with the configuration, hostapd just
didn't do anything at all.

Thanks for your time,
Ayron Jungren