two AP on one device

snowy.mail at gmx.net snowy.mail at gmx.net
Thu Feb 28 16:47:05 EST 2013

Hello!

I'd like to have two AP on one physical device, but I have not been successful so far.

The system I'm using is a Raspberry Pi with raspbian, based on Debian wheezy.
The device is a TP TL-WN722N, so Atheros AR9271.

I am successful using these devices to provide one AP with the following configuration.

# /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo eth0 wlan0

iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.29.55
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.29.1
        network 192.168.29.0
        broadcast 192.168.29.255

iface wlan0 inet static
        address 192.168.29.56
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.29.1
        network 192.168.29.0
        broadcast 192.168.29.255

# /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0

ssid=test1
bssid=fa:XX:XX:XX:XX:40
hw_mode=g
channel=11
country_code=DE
ieee80211d=1
auth_algs=3
wpa=2
wpa_passphrase=somepassword
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP
beacon_int=100

(NB: XX in bssid just here in this post)

If I now append

bss=wlan0:0
ssid=test2
bssid=fa:XX:XX:XX:XX:41

to the configuration file, I get the following errors.

nl80211: Create interface iftype 3 (AP)
nl80211: New interface wlan0:0 created: ifindex=3
nl80211: Add own interface ifindex 3
Could not set interface wlan0:0 hwaddr: Device or resource busy
nl80211: Remove interface ifindex=3
Failed to add BSS (BSSID=fa:XX:XX:XX:XX:41)
wlan0: Unable to setup interface.
Flushing old station entries
Could not connect to kernel driver.
Deauthenticate all stations
Flushing old station entries
Could not connect to kernel driver.
Deauthenticate all stations
nl80211: wpa_driver_nl80211_if_remove(type=2 ifname=wlan0:0) ifindex=0
Failed to remove BSS interface wlan0:0
nl80211: Remove interface ifindex=4
netlink: Operstate: linkmode=0, operstate=6
Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device
nl80211: Set mode ifindex 3 iftype 2 (STATION)
nl80211: Failed to set interface 3 to mode 2: -19 (No such device)
nl80211: Try mode change after setting interface down
Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device
nl80211: Interface mode change to 2 from 3 failed

Also, ifconfig shows that wlan0 is not available anymore...

I'd appreciate it very much if somebody could point me to the right direction to get two AP up and running.

Thank you!

Stefan