hostapd/wpa_supplicant - new release v2.0

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Feb 10 06:32:12 EST 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:15:38AM +0100, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> Just to confirm. Patches for wpa_supplicant and hostapd should be based
> upon the devel branch. Unless they are bug fixes for the current
> release. Does that make sense?

In almost all cases, you are better off basing patches on top of the
master branch. I only update the devel branch in cases when preparing
for a release. For example, the devel branch is currently considerably
behind the master branch. In addition, I'm sure it's quite a bit more
convenient for you to track the master branch than the devel branch that
gets rebased constantly when it is in use..

The only exception to the "use master branch" rule is if you happen to
be working with significant changes during the couple week period prior
to a new release and there are already conflicting changes in the devel
branch. In general, I would expect this to be quite rare.