Supported drivers for Hotspot 2.0/802.11u functionality?

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Feb 8 04:04:51 EST 2013

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 05:56:41AM +0000, Jeanette Lee wrote:
> I have tested so far with a D-Link DWA-160 Rev. A (Carl9170 drivers) and it doesn't appear to being doing anything further than a simple 802.11 probe.
>  A packet capture shows it does not send an ANQP to the AP or anything (except probe). Debug output from wpa_supplicant/wpa_cli shows it finds my APs but doesn't believe they have matching values. Wondering if it is perhaps a driver issue. This configuration works with the HS20-enabled Intel driver and Samsung Galaxy IIS, I.e. I know my APs are sending and responding.
>
> Any thoughts would be welcome. If there is a list of supported drivers, that would be helpful. The documentation I've found so far seems to indicate anything supported by nl80211 would work, which this device appears to support.

I'm not sure whether there is a list of drivers supporting offchannel
Action frame TX prior to association.. Your easiest option today is
likely to be anything using ath9k or ath9k_htc. Other drivers may work,
but those two are the ones I'm using for most of my testing (well, when
having to use real hardware instead of mac80211_hwsim).