wpa_supplicant AP (mode=3) sample conf file block?

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Dec 15 00:06:52 EST 2013

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 09:17:00AM -0500, Colin Hill wrote:
> wpa_supplicant codebases, so I tried configuring wpa_supplicant with
> a network block defining the AP mode behavior but I've had no luck
> finding the proper combination of directives needed to get it to
> operate in this mode. The wpa_supplicant.conf docs and sample file
> both indicate mode=3 is the needed directive but I presume there are
> a set of other required directives one of which I must be missing.

Could you please point where you found that mode=3 being claimed as AP
mode?

This is how wpa_supplicant.conf describes this field:

# mode: IEEE 802.11 operation mode
# 0 = infrastructure (Managed) mode, i.e., associate with an AP (default)
# 1 = IBSS (ad-hoc, peer-to-peer)
# 2 = AP (access point)

> My attempt at this which does NOT work was:
>
> network={
>     ssid="your_ssid"
>     mode=3

mode=3 is used internally for P2P GO and it is not supposed to be used
in this way. If you want to set up an AP, use mode=2 and add
frequency=<channel frequency in MHz>.