hostapd segfault, unable to restart, unable to compile 2.0

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Aug 31 03:12:18 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 09:09:20PM +0100, Norman Henderson wrote:
> Thanks, that's helpful guidance, I'm completely new at this. Below is
> an abbreviated log, followed by the output of apt-cache show for a
> couple of packages that seemed (to me!) relevant. -Norman

>   CC  ../src/drivers/driver_hostap.c
> ../src/drivers/driver_nl80211.c:19:31: warning: netlink/genl/genl.h:
> No such file or directory

Do you have libnl-dev package installed? It adds
/usr/include/netlink/genl/genl.h and at least in my test builds, this
works fine on Ubuntu 10.04 as long as libnl1 and libnl-dev are
installed. It looks like the versions I had of those were 1.1-5build1.

You do list apt-cache show information for the packages, but that is
just information about the packages, not whether they are installed on
the system.. Yes they are relevant and must be installed for hostapd
build to go through.