Mix Mode Security and wpa_supplicant-0.7.3

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed Sep 5 15:00:59 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 08:20:29PM +0530, ashish yadav wrote:
> I am using the wl12xx drivers from compat-wireless-3.2.5-1.
> The WiFi chip is WL1281Q  from TI ( acting as station/client ).
>
>  I am able to connect with AP using :
>   a. WPA-PSK
>   b. WPA2-AES
>
> But when AP use mix mode security, then I am not able to connect with AP.

How did you configure wpa_supplicant for this? Assuming you are using
ap_scan=1 (which is the default), something as simple as this should
allow connection to a mixed WPA/WPA2-Personal AP:

network={
    ssid="foo"
    psk="12345678"
}

since the defaults enable both options. More explicitly, you could use
these parameters to enforce the stronger option if you know the AP
enables WPA2-Personal/CCMP (which it will ,in mixed mode configuration):

network={
    ssid="foo"
    psk="12345678"
    proto=RSN
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    pairwise=CCMP
    group=TKIP
}

Please send wpa_supplicant debug log showing the issue if you cannot get
the connection working based on these notes.