wpa_supplicant and automatic roaming.

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Fri Oct 26 04:59:04 EDT 2012

On 24/10/2012 21:21, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 10/24/2012 01:19 PM, Jouni Malinen wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 01:02:57PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>>> On 10/23/2012 10:37 PM, Jouni Malinen wrote:
>>> Is there any documentation for this feature?
>> Not much, i.e., the commit logs are your best source of information
>> (well, ignoring source code ;-)..
>>
>> commit e2f74005f548d90014cdf080802d455382e37cb9
>>
>>       bgscan: Add signal strength change events
>>
>>       This allows bgscan modules to use more information to decide on when
>>       to perform background scans. bgscan_simple can now change between
>>       short and long background scan intervals based on signal strength
>>       and in addition, it can trigger immediate scans when the signal
>>       strength is detected to be dropping.
>>
>>       bgscan_simple takes following parameters now:
>>       short interval:signal strength threshold:long interval
>>       For example:
>>           bgscan="simple:30:-45:300"
> I have some doc patches I need to feed upstream anyway...I'll add this
> to my tree and post it when I get some other things cleaned up.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

I for one would be interested in more info on bg_learn?  From the source
and the odd commit it seems to simply be smarter at scanning, but all
the hints like the one above suggest to use simple?  Is "learn"
considered production ready?

Also it's been raised in the past, but for many situations it seems to
make more sense to have a scan parameter at the top level, eg typical
roaming user may not need/wish to enter roaming details per network, but
instead just wants the network to rescan if it drops out and it seems
extremely obvious to desire a regular scan when *no* network is
detected?  There were some patches in particular for the last point some
time back, but it's not clear if they went anywhere?

What chance of a feature request for a top level "scan every 5 minutes
when connected and every 5 seconds when no network connected" feature?

Thanks

Ed W