wpa_supplicant and automatic roaming.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue Oct 23 20:38:13 EDT 2012

We did a test with an attenuator and two APs.  Both APs have same SSID.

Supplicant was started and it selected one of the APs.

We then increased attenuation until the selected AP had around -70 signal
quality, and the other AP had -20 or so.  We expected that at some point
supplicant would switch to the new AP with much better signal quality.

But, it did not switch.  If we manually kicked told supplicant
to re-associate, it would choose the AP with better signal.

Is supplicant supposed to automatically do periodic scans and
find better APs, or is that something that outside programs
have to initiate?

Thanks,
Ben

--