P2P

Kevin Wilson wkevils at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 05:10:18 EDT 2012

Hi,

I saw a howto teaching to use wpa_supplicant to establish p2p connection:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/p2p/howto

ath9k is known to support P2P, according to this howto.

I looked in the code of ath9k in wireless-testing git tree.
I saw that two flags were added to the wireless stack: NL80211_IFTYPE_P2P_CLIENT
and NL80211_IFTYPE_P2P_GO.

I also saw that in ath9k_set_hw_capab() we set
hw->wiphy->interface_modes to include NL80211_IFTYPE_P2P_CLIENT
	and NL80211_IFTYPE_P2P_GO.

I also so that, for example, in b43 driver code, these flags are not set.

My question is:

How do I know from looking in the driver
source code if a wireless device does support P2P ?

If these flags are not set in the wireless driver, can we say for sure that
this driver currently does not support P2P?

Is NL80211_IFTYPE_P2P_CLIENT flag enough to say that we support P2P, or
is the NL80211_IFTYPE_P2P_GO mandatory ?

rgs,
Kevin