[RFC] Roam correctly through cfg80211 without SME

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Nov 3 12:15:37 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 02:51:04PM -0700, Christopher Wiley wrote:
> Change the nl80211 driver in wpa_supplicant to correctly handle
> connecting to a new AP through cfg80211 without SME capability.  As
> before, the driver will disconnect from the previously associated AP,
> but now we attempt to immediately connect to our intended AP.  This
> prevents us from blacklisting the AP we were trying to connect to
> because of a semantic mismatch between cfg80211 and wpa_supplicant.  The
> disconnect/connect patch generates a local disconnect nl80211 event
> which we discard because we're already correctly tracking the pending
> association request.

This looks fine. Could you please post a version with the Signed-hostap:
tag as described in the CONTRIBUTIONS file (*) so that I can apply this
to hostap.git?

(*)
http://w1.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap.git;a=blob_plain;f=CONTRIBUTIONS;hb=HEAD

> cfg80211 does not support connecting to a new BSS while already
> connected to another BSS, if the underlying driver doesn't support
> separate authenticate and associate commands.

I would actually like to add support for that, but until that happens,
it sounds reasonable to add this optimization to the EALREADY
processing.