[RFC-PATCH 1/2] wpa_supplicant: add new config params to be used with the ibss join command

Antonio Quartulli ordex at autistici.org
Wed Jun 6 02:39:40 EDT 2012

Hello,

On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 04:53:01PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-06-04 at 14:24 +0200, Antonio Quartulli wrote:

> > > Fixed freq (and fixed BSSID) are kinda hacks and not really supported by
> > > any other driver/device, I'm not sure they should be supported here?
> >
> > mh..is there any way to specific "driver specific" options? Actually this param
> > will be used (if set) by the nl80211 driver and ignored by all the others..
> >
> > I don't know where I could move this param.
>
> For the most part, driver specific parameters are evil and shouldn't be
> used.

I think that most of the params I added are supported by other drivers as well
(not 100% sure).
We just need to add the support for them in each driver-related code.

> What's fixed_freq again?  Does that force the device onto a
> single frequency and disable IBSS merging?  Perhaps instead of using
> "fixed_freq", which seems to overlap a lot with the existing 'frequency'
> config item, you could just have an option to disable IBSS merging if
> it's supported by the driver?  It's obviously just a hint, since not all
> devices (even ones that support cfg80211) support disabling IBSS
> merging.

As far as I can tell, frequency is the initial value where the device will look
for other IBSS. Fixed-freq will force the driver to get stuck on that frequency,
even if there is another IBSS on another channel.

Johannes can probably confirm or disprove what I said...
Actually I'm not "adding a new behaviour" to wpa_s, I'm simply allowing the use
to configure all the parameters that the ibss join command support. Whether the

There are
many people out there that use the "iw" command to join an IBSS with the freq
and fixed_freq params set. What I'm doing here is allowing these people to
configure the same params when using wpa_s.

Cheers,

--
Antonio Quartulli

..each of us alone is worth nothing..