hostapd: RSN 4-way handshake issue with Cisco WET200 client

Helmut Schaa helmut.schaa at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 17 08:16:28 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Helmut Schaa
<helmut.schaa at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Felix Fietkau <nbd at openwrt.org> wrote:
>> On 2012-01-17 1:08 PM, Helmut Schaa wrote:
> [...]
>>> Btw. a similar workaround was part of OpenWrt for some time.
>>>
>>> Felix, do you remeber by any chance why you removed
>>> 570-eapol_key_type.patch in [1] again?
>> I removed it, because it apparently caused regressions with other
>> clients, and I couldn't figure out where those came from.
>
> Ok, too bad. Other AP implementations seem to allow the key descriptor
> change from RSN to WPA in frame 4of4. At least I can associate the
> Cisco client to other APs and the handshake still shows the key
> descriptor switch ...
>
> Let's see what Jouni's opinion is :)

The code was added back in 2009 [1] and since it causes issues
with some stupid clients we might reduce the check to also allow
WPA when a RSN handshake is carried out.

Helmut

[1] http://hostap.epitest.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap-06.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=f8e96eb6fd960a017793942cff0eb43b09f444c6