Disabling 802.11b

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Thu Jan 12 10:25:03 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 05:44:07AM +0000, Bryan Phillippe wrote:
> I was reading this article (http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/dropping-legacy-80211-support-your-infrastruc) about 802.11b clients reducing the performance of 802.11g/n clients.  Is there a way to disable support for 802.11b in hostapd?

Common way of doing that is to add one of the non-802.11b rates to the
basic rate set. For example:

basic_rates=10 20 55 110 60 120 240

If you want, you can also remove some of the lower rates so that the
station won't use them in this BSS. Just keep in mind that this reduces
the range of the network, so it may or may not be suitable depending on
your setup.