Beacon frame processing at user space

류철 ryuch at etri.re.kr
Thu Jan 12 05:44:17 EST 2012

Hi, all!

I’m working on beacon frames. IEEE Std 802.11u-2011 defines a set of IEs such as Multiple BSSID, Interworking, Advertisement Protocol, Roaming Consortium, Emergency Alert Indentifier in the beacon frame in addition to other management frames. But I found I could not register beacon frame at nl80211_mgmt_subscribe_non_ap() in drivers_nl80211.c.

At the p2p mode of wpa_supplicant, it fails and returns “Invalid Argument”. I tried to register beacon frame with the code below.

nl80211_register_frame(bss, bss->nl_mgmt, (WLAN_FC_TYPE_MGMT << 2) | ( WLAN_FC_STYPE_BEACON<< 4), NULL, 0) < 0)

Is this related to mode of device, such as AP, STA, GO, P2P Client?

To implement 802.11u, I think we need to pass beacon events and IEs to upper layers. Let me know if you have those facilities to support these beacon related things.

---

RYU Cheol