Reduce Channel Scanning Time in wpa_supplicant

Nithyananthan Poosamani nithy.psg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 00:48:25 EST 2012

Hi,

I am working with wpa_supplicant 0.6.x provided along with the Android
source git. I am working on supplicant for NexusOne phone.

In driver_wext.c file and in the method "wpa_driver_wext_set_cscan_params",
there is the code to do passive channel scanning.
So by default of 250 ms dwell time, if my understanding is right, Android
takes close to 3.5 sec to do one full-channel scan and return the results.

My question is, how can I do scanning for only one specified channel ? So
basically I would do scanning for 250 ms only and then return results.

Also the previous scan results are cached somewhere, so whenever the phone
screen is turned on, we check the cached results first to speed-up
association else do new scanning.
How are the cache results changed, how periodically ?

I would be happy if any of you can help me understand these phenomenon's.

Thanks for your time !

Sincerely,
Nithy