Is data encryption iof WPA2 mplemented in wpa_supplicant or in another process?

Chao Xu caesarxuchao at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 15:37:17 EST 2012

Hi Jouni,

I'm trying to understand how the data encryption of WPA2 is implemented in
wpa_supplicant. So far, I found a key (wps->cred.key) was generated when
building M8 of EAP-WSC in ./src/wps/wps_registrar.c. I think this key was
the Master Key (MK). But i didn't find anywhere in the project this key
being used. Also, I found in ./src/crypto/ folder the implementations of
various AES algorithms. But I didn't find anywhere in the project these
encryption functions being called. These two facts make me suspicious about
whether the data encryption is implemented inside the wpa_supplicant or
actually in another process. Could you shed some light on this question?
Thank you.

--
Regards,
Chao Xu