wpa_supplicant 0.7.3 slow to associate, 0.6.10 is ok

Koen Beel koen.beel.barco at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 10:57:28 EDT 2012

Hi all,

In a product we are building, we are using wpa_supplicant to connect
to a WPA2-PSK secured AP and are experiencing pretty low association
times when using wpa_supplicant 0.7.3.
After a very large number of test cylces (many 100's), we see that the
association time is somewhere between 8 and 10 seconds.

We have also done some test using the 0.6.10 version and here we see
that the association time is only between 1 and 2 seconds.

This connection time is very important to us. We cannot just switch
0.6.10 because we are relying on the wpa_cli interaction for setting
up other parts of the system and this wpa_cli interaction seems to
behave differently on 0.6.10 (at least here; it breaks our system).

We are using WEXT driver, and using the config file in attachment.

Has any one an idea what could be the cause of this issue we are seeing?
Could this be a configuration issue? Or more likely something related
to the wpa_supplicant itself

Thanks,
Koen