eap_sim_db_receive is not called

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Sep 18 10:58:07 EDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 06:29:33AM -0700, Ming-Ching Tiew wrote:
> But in terms of scalability, I would need some input here.
> Correctly me if I am wrong, but it appears to me that hostapd
> depends on event loop architecture to achieve concurrency,
> which fundamentally it is single threaded. Would this able to
> fully capitalize on the availability and abundance of
> multi-core multi-CPU machine to service as many requests as possible ?

No, hostapd is running in a single thread and it will not benefit from
multiple cores/CPUs. The common use cases for hostapd have not really
been targeting multi-core setups. I guess this will change eventually
since many platforms are moving to using multiple cores.

Anyway, as far as EAP-SIM and EAP-AKA are concerned, they are not really
that CPU intensive. Do you have reason to believe that the use case you
are thinking of would have problems surviving with a single core running
the authentications? You would need to have seriously large network to
hit that.. And at that point, you could as well run a frontend RADIUS
proxy to do load balancing between multiple hostapd processes if you
want to take advantage of multi-core setups.