future wpa_s/hostapd release plans

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Mon Sep 12 14:42:51 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:58:26AM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> Do you know who tracks hostap.git, and why? It would be interesting to
> see if those projects would be interested in tracking hostap-N.git
> instead or in addition. So far, I haven't seen anybody speak up here on
> the list :-)

Well, I know that I do in most projects ;-). There are others, but I'm
not sure how much of that is public, so I leave that for others to
comment.

> That would be interesting, but I'm not sure I'd expect it to happen
> before 1.0 is actually branched off. It could be part of the release
> criteria for 1.0 in this case, but even there I'm not sure. I think we
> might rather release 1.0 with P2P, get people started using that, and
> then release 1.1 after fixing some bugs in certification? I don't really
> know which approach is better though.

I was indeed thinking of P2P testing for the actual release, not as a
criterion for the branch. Anyway, I don't have any strong reason to
require 1.0 to pass any specific set of tests.