Macro :CONFIG_SME in wpa_supplicant

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Mon Oct 24 11:31:00 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:28:02AM +0000, Atul Joshi wrote:
> I have  a question regarding the macro CONFIG_SME , mainly found in events.c .
> What is the purpose of this macro? What functionality does this enable/disable?
> How to configure  wpa_supplicant to use this flag?

CONFIG_SME build configuration is to enable support for running some SME
operations in wpa_supplicant instead of kernel/firmware code. Currently
this is mainly to select how association to a BSS is handled. In
SME-in-wpa_supplicant case, there will be separate authentication and
association steps where wpa_supplicant first asks the driver to
authenticate with the AP and then after successful, asks the driver to
associate with the AP. In SME-in-driver case, this there will be only a
single command to complete these two steps.

wpa_supplicant SME is currently used only with nl80211-driver interface
with drivers that indicate support for the separate authentication
command. In practice, that is all mac80211-based drivers while other
drivers using cfg80211 are more likely to use the connect command.