WPA-EAP network stops working after random interval

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed Nov 23 11:50:05 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:26:41PM +0100, Håvard Espeland wrote:
> When using WPA-EAP protected wlan at Eduroam[1] enabled locations, the
> connectivity is lost randomly after some time (usually within 120 minutes).
> This affects many other Linux users I have talked to at my university and the
> problem persists across distributions. Currently, I'm using Arch with
> supplicant 0.7.3 and openssl 1.0.0, but I also experienced this problem on
> Ubuntu, and so do many others[2].

That launchpad bug 429370 seems to have a long thread and likely number
of completely unrelated issues. As such, it would take way too much
effort to try to go through that to get a complete picture of what is
happening. In other words, it would be better to concentrate on one
issue at the time..

> Log output when connectivity problems occuring, about 20 minutes after
> establishing the connection. After the state re-enters COMPLETED, connectivity
> is lost. Issuing "wpa_cli reassoc" regains connectivity.

This excerpt seems to show group rekeying. Would it be possible to get a
complete debug log that shows everything from the initial connection to
the point of the connection dying? If the connection is stopping during
group rekeying, this is unlikely to have anything to do with most of the
comments in launchpad bug 429370..