Hidden SSID/BSSID cache

Simon Barber simon at barber.net
Mon Nov 7 20:19:37 EST 2011

I use a Ubuntu laptop at work, and the corporate WLAN uses a hidden
SSID. Every day I connect at the same place, and wpa_supplicant seems to
do an initial scan, then try to scan for the hidden SSID. This takes
some extra time. Since I regularly use the same APs would it be possible
to extend wpa_supplicant to persistently cache the BSSID->hidden SSID
relationships it learns (in a file). This way the next day I open my
laptop the initial scan will find the BSSID of the AP I normally use,
and learn from the cache that it can immediately attempt to associate
with that BSSID, skipping the second scan, and resulting in a faster
connection.

Simon