Initial automatic channel selection implementation

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
Thu May 26 20:59:46 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Felix Fietkau <nbd at openwrt.org> wrote:
> On 2011-05-27 1:45 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

>>>  Please explain why you want to remove the rx time, it makes no sense to
>>> me.
>>>  Without rx time you will usually not get any useful indication of how
>>> busy
>>>  the channel is.
>>
>> The busy time that happens when do not TX or RX accounts for
>> interference on the frequency which is not accounted for. RX time may
>> mean receiving beacons or probe responses, this type of data exchange
>> doesn't necessarily mean interference. I believe sampling conditions
>> each frequency without TX or RX'ing data would yield a more fair
>> representation of general interference on the channel, otherwise the
>> interference would be taking into consideration explicit forced
>> interference on the frequency by our own radio.
>
> I think real channel load (including rx) is much more interesting for
> channel selection than only interference. Interference time shouldn't really
> matter that much in practice unless it's excessively high. Also, even normal
> packets will increase the measured non-rx/tx busy time, partially due to
> collisions, partially (on Atheros radios) because of the way the radio
> works.

Alright, I'll include rx time too, I'm not really keen either way,
just trying to get a proof of concept going and moving.

Oh and for the record and quick cache of this information.. the busy
time is defined on Atheros hardware by the "The receive clear counter
" register, (AR_RCCNT, 0x80F4). The receive clear counter counts the
number of cycles the rx_clear signal is "NOT" active.

  Luis