probe request handling with driver_nl80211

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Mon May 16 15:23:08 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 07:52:59PM +0300, Mail4Lior wrote:
> I want to understand why the probe request frames are registered at
> the wpa_supplicant only when the device is in listen mode?

This is special functionality for P2P device discovery.

> Which component(fw/driver/supplicant) will handle those probe in
> active mode(the device in GO state)?

That depends on the driver. Some drivers handle the Probe Request frames
in firmware or kernel, others may use the AP code in
hostapd/wpa_supplicant to process the frames.

> If this response done by lower layers (driver/fw) how the information
> element is passing to those layer, which API is used?

That depends on the driver. Full Probe Request frame (and other
management frames) may be delivered to hostapd/wpa_supplicant (e.g.,
through monitor interface in case of mac80211) or
EVENT_RX_PROBE_REQ/EVENT_RX_MGMT driver events may be used for this.