ap scanning?

Daniel Halperin dhalperi at cs.washington.edu
Tue May 3 19:57:50 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Johannes Berg <johannes at sipsolutions.net> wrote:

> I don't think hostapd scans, but how are you connecting the client? It
> could be scanning.

The problem is hard to reproduce, but appears to happen ~30s after
something I do, such as associating or connecting the card or starting
a TCP session, (usually between seconds 25-27 of the iperf transfer).
Both endpoints are running Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS, and I've uninstalled
from both Network-Manager, which is the typical source of these woes.

The AP is set up as follows:

rmmod iwlagn cfg80211 mac80211
modprobe iwlagn debug=0x40000
sudo ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.2 up
sudo ~/hostap/hostapd/hostapd ~/hostap/hostapd/hostapd.conf -dd &!
iperf -s -i1

the client is set up:

sudo rmmod ath9k ath9k_common ath9k_hw ath mac80211 cfg80211
sudo modprobe ath9k
sudo ifconfig wlan1 up 192.168.1.11
sudo iwconfig wlan1 essid <essid>
iperf -c 192.168.1.2 -i1 -t 30