wpa_supplicant BCM53115 support?

Michael V. Antosha michael.antosha at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 09:13:49 EDT 2011

Hello HostAP and wpa_supplicant community,

=========================
Short problem description
=========================

I need help with wpa_supplicant authorization on (wired) BCM53115
ethernet link.

Joining 01:80:c2:00:00:03 multicast group doesn't seem to make
EAPOL/EAP packets visible (neither for wpa_supplicant itself [1], nor
for iproute+tcpdump [2]).  This makes 802.1x authorization impossible.

IMHO to make wpa_supplicant work on this link I need either BCM53115
linux driver with working multicast joining support or patch for
wpa_supplicant to make the roboswitch driver to initialize BCM53115
correctly.

Any help or references with this?
Where could I find latest information?

My ISP doesn't offer other authorization options except for 802.1x
(eap=MD5).  Thus, I just can not use my router for internet access. I'm
ready to do some hacking to make this work but I need more information.

Thanks,
Michael.

============
More details
============

The router is ASUS RT-N16.
I'm trying to make it work as an 802.1x supplicant on its WAN link.

Internet search says that RT-N16 has a BCM53115SKFBG Broadcom switch.

Excerpt from wpa-supplicant.conf:

network={
        key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
        eap=MD5
        identity="xxxxxxxx"
        password="xxxxxxxx"
        eapol_flags=0
}

I tried TomatoUSB [4] but it's not important for me to use exactly this
distribution.  To make the router work as 802.1x supplicant is the
priority. Any help would be appreciated.

Other related keywords:
BCM53115S
53115
linux-2.6.22.19
Optware
ipkg
ipk
cross compile

========================
Footnotes and references
========================

[1] Last thing I tried was wpa_supplicant-0.7.3 with some hacking on
driver_roboswitch.c to make it work with 'vlan2' interface (not
'eth0.2' as it expects):

 - http://hostap.epitest.fi/releases/wpa_supplicant-0.7.3.tar.gz

 - src/drivers/driver_roboswitch.c

[2] I tried joining to the multicast group with iproute and capturing
with tcpdump in such way:

   ip maddr add '01:80:c2:00:00:03' dev 'eth0'
   tcpdump -nn -i'eth0' 'ether host 01:80:c2:00:00:03'

No packets from 802.1x authenticator seen (I believe the packets are
present on wire because I see them when authorizing on the link without
router).

[3] Linux WPA/WPA2/IEEE 802.1X Supplicant home page
http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/

[4] Tomato USB web site
http://tomatousb.org

[5] Optware home page