wpa_supplicant and dhclient.

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Tue Mar 15 10:37:10 EDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 12:40:46PM +0000, Martinsson Patrik wrote:
> - Since dhclient already is started by NM with dbussupport, why cant wpa_supplicant/gui talk to dhclient and request an ip when a successful connection is made, should I manually have to start dhclient whenever I've connected through wpa_supplicant, or am I missing something ?

I'm not aware of any standard mechanism to indicate to various DHCP
client implementations that it would be a good idea to renew a lease.
You can implement this using wpa_cli in "action" mode to run a shell
script whenever a connection is formed by wpa_supplicant. See "Using
wpa_cli to run external program on connect/disconnect" in
wpa_supplicant/README.