Avoid exhaustive scan when doing p2p_connect + join

Dani Camps danicamps81 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 03:02:51 EST 2011

Dear all,

I am playing around with the P2P implementation in wpa_supplicant, and I have
observed some significant delays when a P2P Client joins an existing group. The
reason for these delays is that the P2P Client performs a full scan (sometimes
through the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands) before starting WPS provisioning with the
peer that I indicated. Is there any way to cancel the full scan and move to WPS
provisioning as soon as the desired peer is discovered ?

The exact sequence of events that I follow is the following:

On the P2P GO side:

1) p2p_group_add ---> I think the group starts in a social channel by default
2) wps_pin any 12345670

On the P2P Client

1) p2p_find ---> That discovers the existent group and returns the MAC of the
GO: GO_MAC
2) p2p_stop_find ---> Stops the scan through social channels
3) p2p_connect $GO_MAC 12345670 join --> The problem is here, because
"p2p_connect + join" starts an exhaustive scan before moving to WPS
provisioning. What I would like is to avoid the full scan, and start WPS
provisioning as soon as GO_MAC is discovered. Is this possible ?

Best Regards

Daniel