Not doing a scan before associating with an Access Point

Marty Galyean marty at heavyreckoning.com
Fri Jun 24 04:52:27 EDT 2011

On 6/23/11 6:14 PM, Panagiotis Georgopoulos wrote:

>      I am trying to reduce the time it takes to associate to an Access
> Point. I realized that with the default wpa_supplicant settings (i.e.
> ap_scan=1) there is a scan that the interface does with probe requests
> to all channels before the association. This is essentially a 800-1000
> ms delay which I would like to remove completely.

I always thought the initial scan was to get an overview of what SSIDs
were available on what channels.  In order to associate with a given
SSID/BSSID the driver would either need to try channels until it found
it, or do an initial scan of all channels to get an overview. My first
question would be whether the driver always starts the scan at the same
channel (presumably ch 1) or does it start on the channel to which it
has been previously set?  If the latter, and you could potentially limit
the number of channels in the scan to the single channel you know the AP
is on, then it might be a solution.  I'm am no expert on this code so
I'm just shotgunning here.

Marty