Not doing a scan before associating with an Access Point

Ali Bahar ali at internetdog.org
Thu Jun 23 21:16:57 EDT 2011

Hi Panos,

just a few thoughts from another user:

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:14:09PM +0100, Panagiotis Georgopoulos wrote:
>                I am trying to reduce the time it takes to associate to an
> Access Point. I realized that with the default wpa_supplicant settings (i.e.

>                I've tried setting ap_scan=2 and the frequency of the access
> point I want wpa_supplicant to associate to, and indeed there is no scanning
> (I've checked it with a monitoring interface) but also no association! I
> also tried ap_scan=0, but unfortunately with the same results.

Have you tried ap_scan=0 first?
I have not done this, but it seems to me that you ought to try this
no-security option first.

>                Any idea how can I remove this scan but manage to associate
> with the access point I want to?

Without access to better advice, my next step would be to try
'iwconfig wlan0 ap 00:60:1D:01:23:45' in the hope that the driver may
retain the choice. I don't know to what extent wpa_supplicant
resets the driver's settings, so the choice may, or may not, survive.

later,
ali