Is the MIC of EAPoL-Key (2/4) affected by the .11 driver?

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Jun 18 12:35:31 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 08:35:59PM +0800, Ali Bahar wrote:
> is the MIC of EAPoL-Key (2/4) affected by the 802.11 driver, or is it
> solely calculated by the supplicant?

The driver should not change the payload of that frame.

> I am getting a "Michael MIC failure" from the AP, and am wondering if
> the device driver code plays any role in this, or whether this is
> solely affected by the supplicant. I expected only the latter, but I
> have not found any other culprits for the failure!

Based on the rest of the thread, I'm assuming that this is not talking
about Michael MIC but EAPOL-Key Key MIC.

The most common reason for this type of error is in the WPA passphrase
including some non-ASCII characters and the AP and the station have been
configured using different character encoding that results in a mismatch
in the derived PSK. Could that be the case here? Have you tried with a
simple passphrase like 12345678?

Which AP is this? Can you please send a verbose debug log from
wpa_supplicant (-dd on command line or if you are using a passphrase
that you do not mind disclosing, use -ddK to include all details,
including the key, in the debug)?