Is the MIC of EAPoL-Key (2/4) affected by the .11 driver?

Ali Bahar ali at internetdog.org
Tue Jun 14 20:38:09 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 07:31:44AM +0800, Ali Bahar wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 04:41:31PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:

> > I'm on my wait out, but I think you're confusing the michael MIC and
> > the EAPOL MIC.
>
> I know what you mean, but wireshark (the latest, development version)
> is decoding the 0x000e Reason Code as "Michael MIC failure". I did not
> look it up, and instead chose to post it as is.

The .11 Standard lists the 0x000e as "Message integrity code (MIC)
failure", so the Michael interpretation is wireshark's -- and
presumably a bug.

... Looking at the wireshark source code, that seems to be the case. I
will see if they already have an outstanding bug issued for this.

Meanwhile, anyone with a clue as to why my AP hates me? Presuming that
the PSK has been entered properly at both ends (AP and STA), and that
the protocols (eg WPA2) match, the only remaining suspects are the
executing codes at both end -- something which I do not rule in at
all, at this point.

My WPA2 configuration:
network={
        ssid="my"