Using PAM / Current Credentials to authenticate wired 802.1x MSCHAPv2 (Ubuntu)

Felix Sargent felix.sargent at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 13:36:46 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find information as to how you'd create a method to have
machines authenticate via 802.1x using cached credentials, rather than
having to write to a /etc/wpa_supplicant file. We're currently using
Centrify with PAM to allow our Ubuntu machines to sign on to our Windows
Active Directory. Can WPA do something similar?

Ideally we'd like to have 802.1x provide per session security, which means
that we want users to authenticate, rather than a global flat file.  The
more seamless I can make this for my users, the better. The last thing I
never need is them editing /etc/ conf files.
I'm able to dabble in python, but I'd like to know if this mailing list has
heard anything similar that is effective for this purpose.

Thank you,
Felix Sargent
felix.sargent at gmail.com