Hostapd-0.7.3 chokes on WPA

Nickolai Dobrynin ndobrynin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 20:24:00 EST 2011

Well, I just got my (unsecured for now) wireless network running, and everything
ran smoothly.  Then I added WPA encryption options to the
/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
file, and everything went haywire.  hostapd appears to start net.wlan0
OK at boot
but *not* start itself, which, I assume, is due to a segfault while
trying to initialize.

I did try running it manually via hostapd -dd ..., but it exited immediately
on me without printing any output at all.  I remember getting pages and pages
of output from it several months ago.  Now, even with no encryption in place
and everything working properly (see above), it's still completely silent.

I am posting my hostapd.conf file below.  Does anything in it stand out as
missing or bizarre to you?  Also, is there any way to force hostapd into more
verbosity?  Any other debugging tricks related to hostapd I should be aware of?

Re system configuration: I'm on Gentoo.  The kernel version is
2.6.36-gentoo-r5, the hostapd version is 0.7.3, and the wireless card is
"DLink DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter" (AR5008, ath9k).

Before anybody asks, I do have encryption enabled in the kernel:

CONFIG_LIB80211=m
CONFIG_LIB80211_CRYPT_WEP=m
CONFIG_LIB80211_CRYPT_CCMP=m
CONFIG_LIB80211_CRYPT_TKIP=m
# CONFIG_LIB80211_DEBUG is not set

Many thanks in advance,
Nickolai Dobrynin

**********/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf**********
interface=wlan0
bridge=br0
driver=nl80211
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
ssid=02FX03151020
auth_algs=1
macaddr_acl=0
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0

##### The 5 lines below break everything.
wpa=3
wpa_passphrase=secret
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP