[RFC 2/2] driver_nl80211: use nl80211 p2p interface types

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Tue Feb 1 09:22:11 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:29:08AM +0200, Eliad Peller wrote:
> Create NL80211_IFTYPE_P2P_CLIENT/GO interfaces for p2p, rather
> than NL80211_IFTYPE_STATION/AP.

This part should hopefully be covered by the patch from Johannes that is
now in hostap.git:
http://w1.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap.git;a=commitdiff;h=9f51b11395646efeb5d6a75d2cabc0bf7626496f

> When doing "ap_scan_as_station" we now need to save the
> actual ap interface type (normal/p2p) in order to restore
> it properly. for that, change ap_scan_as_station type from
> int to nl80211_iftype, and set it NL80211_IFTYPE_UNSPECIFED
> when not used.

But this was not covered.. At this point, we should not really trigger
the hostapd scan on P2P GO interface since we do not enable HT40. As far
as P2P search is concerned, I do not really want to do it by changing
the interface type and hopefully we can address this by moving to using
a separate vif for P2P group (and alternatively, by enabling AP/P2P GO
type interface to run through the scan).

For the HT40 case where AP will need to run a scan before enabling the
interface, it would be useful to maintain that functionality for P2P,
too, once we start enabling HT40 at some point. This requires changes to
the P2P channel negotiation (new operating class). If someone is willing
to rebase this part of the patch on top of the current hostap.git
version, it would be useful to get this addressed so that both the AP
and P2P GO iftypes have similar behavior and that they will end up
restoring the previous iftype after the scan properly.