P2P: Inviting a p2p device from already running persistent p2p go

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Dec 18 13:22:19 EST 2011

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:43:28PM -0800, Neeraj Kumar Garg wrote:
> The patch is still needed as the command p2p_invite group=<ifname> always sends a non-persistent invitation but we want to do a persistent invitation. We want to avoid WPS negotiation as P2 already have WPS credentials of P1.

Well, a fix may be needed, but that does not mean that this patch is the
correct fix. It would sound better to fix p2p_invite to indicate
persistent group if the group selected with group=<ifname> is indeed
persistent.

> If you are worried what would be the use case of above command sequence, then:
> A. 3 devices were connected and this was a persistent connection and then disconnected. Now 2 of them (one of them is earlier GO) re-invoked the persistent connection. And now GO wants to do a persistent invite to the third device.
> B. To avoid excessive entries in the conf file, we decided that whenever application will ask to create autonomous GO, we will reinvoke a persistent GO entry from the Conf file. This will also increase our hit ratio of persistent connection from the clients as we will be running same credentials. And then later invitation to a client device has to be a persistent one.
> C. An application on GO may decide to store the connected client information for a persistent connection. In that case, it very well knows to whom it has to send persistent invitation and to whom it has to send a normal invitation.

This is all fine and I have no problems understanding the use case; I'm
just pointing out that the approach used in this patch is trying to
misuse the ctrl_iface commands and the correct fix is something else
(most likely a fix to that p2p_invite group=<ifname> to make it aware of
persistent groups).