Question on external programs communicating through ctrl iface of hostapd

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Dec 18 07:06:55 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 08:49:46PM +0530, uday kiran wrote:
> In hostapd, there is a provision for external programs(like hostapd_cli) to
> communicate with hostapd.
>
> If i write my own program which communicates with hostapd through ctrl
> iface, will my program comes under the GPL licensing terms.

If you are worried about that, I would suggest talking to a lawyer. I
would assume it would be possible to construct a case where that could
be possible, but it would take some trying... Please note that you do
have an option of using the BSD licensing alternative for hostapd to
avoid this trivially.