Does anybody can explain the meaning of reason code 7?

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Dec 18 07:01:31 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 09:12:57PM -0800, Yingang Fu wrote:
> Does anybody can explain the meaning of reason code 7(Client attempted to transfer data before it was associated)?
> I'm puzzled. I encountered a deauthentication problem which print out the reason code is 7.
>
> I used a phone to connect to an AP and downloading a file to the phone. Does reason code 7 meaning that the phone attempt to
> transfer data to AP but the association has not been established?

If the AP is sending a Deauthentication frame with reason code 7, it is
indicating that a Class 3 (e.g., a normal Data frame) was received from
the station when the AP did not have association at the moment. This
would most likely happen because the AP has dropped a previous
association and for some reason, the station did not notice that. In
other words, this mechanism is used to synchronize the association state
at the AP and the station.