P2P: Inviting a p2p device from already running persistent p2p go

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Dec 10 07:24:29 EST 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 12:21:47AM -0700, Neeraj Kumar Garg wrote:
> Below is the command sequence, which creates a problem with current supplicant code if a persistent GO is already running and want to invite a P2P device for the same persistent connection.
>
> Assume X is an entry in the wpa_supplicant.conf file for a persistent connection between P1(GO) and P2(Client).
> P1: p2p_group_add persistent=X
> P1: p2p_invite <P2P dev addr > persistent=X

This is not a valid sequence. The p2p_invite command should actually be
"p2p_invite persistent=X peer=<peer dev addr>", but even with that, this
is not the correct sequence for this task. p2p_invite with persistent=X
is for creating a new group while p2p_invite with group=<ifname> is for
inviting a peer to join an already running group.

> In this case, the code in wpas_p2p_invite will try to create another group_interface but will fail as we are already running a persistent GO. The patch will ensure that if we are already running the same GO with same credentials, we should just proceed for an invite without creating an interface.

Is this really needed? Wouldn't the p2p_invite group=<ifname> command
work for this?