Downloading stops when change the working channel/band!!!

Amr Al-Hamad amr.alhamad at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 2 12:40:04 EST 2011

Thank you Jouni so much for your reply.

First of all I am so sorry for not being clear in my previous message.

      My problem is when I try to change the band of my router (from 5GHz which is considered a less congestion band but with
a small-area coverage to 2.4 GHz band where there is a high congestion but a larger coverage area) through the GUI of my
router(192.168.1.1), all the downloading processes stop. I asked some people about this issue and they told me that when I
change the band of my router, the card needs to reauthenticates and reassociates itself to the new band so I lost the connection
to my network for several seconds and therefore the downloading process stops although if I do not connect to a new network
(actually when I change the band I will work on the same network and SSID).

           I read that wpa_supplicant is responsible about authentication and association between the wireless cards and the router (access point). So I
would like to know if I could solve my problem via wpa_supplicant so I could work on 5GHz band if I am near my router and work on 2.4 GHz band
if I am far away without any need to stop all the downloading operations.

          Wish that I explained my problem in a clearer way. I am using Ubuntu 10.10, Atheros ar9280 wireless card and Linksys E2000 router.

Thanks again