wpa_drv_disable_11b_rates called always in case of CONFIG_P2P

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Mon Apr 18 08:15:23 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 01:59:17PM +0200, Janusz Dziedzic wrote:
> Seems wpa_drv_disable_11b_rates() is called always we configure
> CONFIG_P2P - p2p support.

Correct.

> What in case we will not use p2p functionality but we build in p2p feature?
> We can't use B access points or mixed BG AP?

Yes, that is the current limitation with nl80211 driver interface when
P2P is enabled. Or well, at least the 802.11b-only APs. 802.11g APs
enabling 802.11b support may work in practice since we do not fully
disable reception of 802.11b rates (only TX control is affected).

> Shouldn't this be called dynamicaly somehow?

Yes, but it has some complications that have not yet been resolved.

> What this function should trigger in the driver?
> Or should driver disable this rates only after get eg:
>  - NL80211_IFTYPE_P2P_CLIENT
>  - NL80211_IFTYPE_P2P_GO

If it were limited to just the case of the operating groups, it would be
easy, but this will also need to address things like P2P device
discovery or GO negotiation that may happen while one interface is
connected to a 802.11b AP..