How to log what's happening during 802.1X EAP-TTLS authentification?

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Oct 22 14:49:38 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 08:36:28PM +0200, mike4658 at freenet.de wrote:
> I get this messages while connecting to an AP with wpa_supplicant:
>
> CTRL-EVENT-EAP-STARTED EAP authentication started
> CTRL-EVENT-EAP-METHOD EAP vendor 0 method 21 (TTLS) selected
> CTRL-EVENT-EAP-FAILURE EAP authentication failed
> CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys
> How can I get a detailed log of what's happening during the EAP-TTLS authentification?

You can add -dd on the command like for wpa_supplicant to get detailed
debug output and optionally add -K if you are fine with including
potentially private information likes keys in the output.

> Is openssl needed for an EAP-TTLS authentification with wpa_supplicant?

No, but a TLS library is (i.e., OpenSSL, GnuTLS, or the internal TLS
implementation in wpa_supplicant, etc.).