P2P: Joining to existing P2P Group causes Linux kernel panic

Masashi Honma honma at ictec.co.jp
Fri Nov 26 04:06:19 EST 2010

(2010/11/26 16:52), Johannes Berg wrote:
> I don't think that does what you want -- I believe that will actually go
> through GO negotiation. You'd have to invite the other peer instead.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, invitation is another way to join to P2P
Group. But I think there should be a way without invitation.

Anyway I have already tried to use invitation before trying the previously
posted way. But it didn't work and sometime it made Linux kernel panic too.
This is my command history. In this scenario, non-Persistent GO invites a
P2P device to it's P2P Group. Are these commands correct ? If wrong, what
is a right way ?

GO side
# ./wpa_cli -i wlan0 p2p_group_add

P2P Client side
# ./wpa_cli -i wlan0 p2p_find
# ./wpa_cli -i wlan0 p2p_peers
# ./wpa_cli -i wlan0 p2p_connect 00:22:43:4c:10:fa pbc join auth

GO side
# ./wpa_cli -i wlan0 p2p_peers
# ./wpa_cli -i wlan0 p2p_invite group=wlan0 peer=00:0a:79:6b:65:2e

And I attached both debug logs.

> You'll have to do provisioning first, and then
> invite the peer. Something like that anyway.

My reference [1] says provisioning occurs after successful
completion of the P2P Invitation. Does wpa_supplicant need
provisioning before invitation ?

[1] Wi-Fi Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Technical Specification Version 1.1
3.1.5  P2P Invitation procedure

Regards,
Masashi Honma.