Log file proposal

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Thu Nov 18 14:40:12 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 09:52:33AM -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
> In the core (src/*), the ctx passed to wpa_msg is void*, so you can't get a
> name out of it w/out casting it to wpa_s, and I was afraid that might
> be an invalid assumption.

src/* must not know anything about struct wpa_supplicant (or struct
hostapd_data which may also be the void* context; or anything else for
that matter). The wpa_msg callback handler should take care of this
since it has access to struct wpa_supplicant (or whatever the context
may end up being). This would mean that the direct wpa_printf() call
would need to be moved from wpa_msg() into this callback function.

> I posted a patch to add a new wpa_msg and a _wpa_printf that took an ifname,
> but it was too big for the list and is awaiting admin approval it seems...

Which may never happen.. I don't know whether someone really goes
through the admin queue in any timely manner. Anyway, based on just
hearing that it is too big for the list, I don't think I would be in
favor of getting it in. The existing wpa_msg() should already be able to
handle this.